Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The new Laura?

I'm working on being positive. I met a couple virtual friends in real life over the weekend. (It was awesome to meet you both, Elizabeth and Amy!). Among other things, a couple things that came up in conversation were people and their energy, and facebook. (Not necessarily together). As we talked I realized I sometimes often like to antagonize people who are generally negative. One example: I had a friend on facebook from high school. We weren't friends back then, but we got in touch through facebook. At first it was fun, but over time I got sick of her constant negativity. She is the prime example of an attention-seeker. And an energy vampire. Finally, I had enough and I started to call her out on her dramatic status updates. She would say, "I have the worst job ever- shoot me now!" I'd say, "Then quit. Find a new job". She would say, "Holy Hell! Everyone in this world SUCKS". And I'd say, "Really? Everyone? Do you really think that?" And on and on...but what kind of person does that make me? Not only was it annoying and unnecessary, but I was drawing in her bad energy. So, on Monday, I finally deleted her as a friend, along with a couple others that seem to suck my energy. It's not that I don't like these people- I actually do- but I don't need their bad energy right now. I need to stay positive to keep going in my life right now. Things have been rough, and it's best for me to surround myself with good energy, and let the bad go. And I have to say, it's already made a huge difference! Of course, I'm Miss Sarcastic, and that often comes across as negative. I'm working on that- it'll probably take awhile because I've been like that FOREVER, and besides, it's not always bad. I have to sort out what sarcasm is okay because it really is part of my personality, and what has got to go.

Final thought for now: I will never be a constant Miss Positive. I acknowledge that I will always have bad days- even if I weren't prone to depression, I would still have bad days. After all, I am human. And I may even will sometimes vent about it. But, in general, I am choosing to keep my head up with a smile on my face. How does that sound? :)

7 comments:

Leanne said...

That sounds delightful. And healthy. And I LOVE this blog background. Might be fave ever.

ethiopifinn said...

I like it, the positude, i like your new photo on the right, and the new background is going to help--it is so peaceful and soothing! (the last one was very energetic and fun, and i am diggin' the change)

sis amy said...

You go girl! Positive energy feels so good-negative drags you down! ....Hope you didn't delete me from FB. ;) Love you!

MindiJo said...

I'm happy for you. Although, I like you the way you are.

Elizabeth Halt said...

I think that sounds perfect. :) Including the deleting part ..

I loved meeting you! That was such an enjoyable (and laughter-full) dinner. By the way, I forgot to tell you to say "hi" to Davin. :)

I used to be sarcastic .. occasionally I still am ..

Amy said...

I loved meeting you, Laura... I think you're great - positive or not. I just love real people. :) Even better than online. :)

Anonymous said...

I found it again, and it makes MUCH more sense...although now I am curious about the others...