Friday, December 18, 2009

It wasn't supposed to happen like this...


I pulled my hamstring last Saturday. While running. That's what I've been doing lately- running. I didn't want to talk about it because I wasn't sure I would follow through- I tend to quit things when they get difficult. But I started the Couch-to-5k program a little over two months ago and it was going awesome. I never in a million years thought that I would be a runner. I never cared to be. But a couple friends were starting the program, and I was looking for a healthy activity to start so I joined them. I did most my runs on the treadmill, and took it pretty easy as far as speed because I was paranoid about getting injured. I did a couple weeks more than once when I didn't feel ready to move on. I was smart about it. Then I had my first full 3.1 mile run last weekend. I was doing great, I felt great, and I even felt good enough to do 3.25 miles. I don't know if it was that extra .15 miles or what, but somewhere in there I pulled my hamstring. I finally saw a chiropractor today. Turns out it's something I need to rest. I actually had to hold back tears when he told me. I do not want to stop running. I don't plan to stop. I will, however, take however long it takes for my leg to heal. I'm scared terrified that I'll fall off the train, so to speak. I have loved the runs I've gone on, and I hope that I get right back into it. ...I'll work on my attitude and come back with a more can-do 'tude soon.

Anyway, I planned to blog about my running- it is a HUGE personal accomplishment of mine. I just didn't want to start with blogging about an injury. :(

P.S. Thanks Leanne, for the surfing hammy.


3 comments:

Julie said...

That's an awesome ornament. :D

No fair that you have an injury! Ouch. I'm really proud of you for getting back into running though. And I say back into running because when we used to meet for short runs ten years ago or so, I was a slow distance jogger but you were a fast runner! You could've whooped me in a race anytime.

So, bravo! What a great outlet. I hope you're not out of commission for too long...

Tara said...

I've been thinking I really wan to check this program out online, but haven't done it yet. It looks great. I would love to start it, too, so thanks for giving some motivation to me to get going! I'm really excited about it now. Hope your hamstring gets better soon so you can get back into it. Good luck!

MindiJo said...

First of all: good for you. That's awesome. The running, not the injury.

I've always tossed the running idea around, but never have. Maybe after this babe I will. Vary my workouts even more. Hope you can keep your motivation up!!