Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So Thankful

I year ago today I was dreading the the holiday season. No matter how hard I tried (and I DID try) I could not get into the spirit of the season. It had been over six months since Kiya was born, and in that time we had heard nothing from any other potential birthmothers. I was weary of the adoption process, and cried at the thought of spending yet another Christmas without a baby. I come from a large family. Davin comes from a large famly. So holidays mean a lot of people, a lot of children. I adore all my nieces and nephews and enjoyed seeing them, but at the end of the day there was an enormous hole in my heart. By this point I was unsure adoption was going to work out for us. I thought maybe we would be the couple who doesn't have children and becomes the adopted grandparents to our nieces and nephews. I didn't want that. I cried for a child we could call our own.

A year ago today I had no idea that Dominic already existed. I dreamed of the year we would celebrate the holidays with a baby, but that is not something you can fully imagine if you've never been there. I sit here tonight and cannot believe my little baby is in the other room with his dad, talking and playing. I cannot believe tomorrow I will walk into my parents house, baby in tow. Santa will bring gifts to my child. It is all very overwhelming. I am not a mushy person, but my heart is bursting tonight. This is the holiday season I've been dreaming of. This Thanksgiving I am thankful for family- Davin's family, my family, our little family down in Arizona. I am thankful for Tia. She gave us the greatest gift, and I will treasure this Christmas season with all my heart.

Take time tomorrow to remind yourself what you are thankful for. :)
Happy Thanksgiving!

8 comments:

Elizabeth Halt said...

So happy for your happiness.

Wishing you the most magical of holiday seasons. Clearly that wish is already coming true.

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

Happy Thanksgiving; may your heart continue to burst with happiness! :)

I am relating very well to your feelings from last year . . .

Anonymous said...

A tear in the eye- Enjoy every second with your precious little guy-
Love ya- Laura N

ethiopifinn said...

Happy, happy Thanksgiving day.

MindiJo said...

Good for you, Laura. <3

Read Aloud Dad said...

What a lovely post.

I am happy for your good fortunes!

Lucky Dominic.

Read Aloud Dad

Julie said...

Beautiful. I tried to comment on this before but had issues with it publishing. This post made me cry- I am so happy for you, Davin, and Dominic. What a lot to be thankful for this holiday season. Love you!

Happiness On The Inside said...

Wow, your journey had brought me to tears! What a long and hard journey it must have been. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I have nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award. To find out more visit my blog at http://happinessontheinside.webs.com/apps/blog/

Wishing you all of the best!! ~Laci