Thursday, February 17, 2011

What *you* can know about my son's adoption

Apparently, people are curious about adoption. It's not just our adoption- everyone I know who has adopted faces the same curiosities. The problem I have is the line there is between innocent inquiries and nosy and rude questions. There is definitely a line, and it is not always clear. The line lays at different places depending on who I am talking to. It is more faint to those I am closest to. It is closer to me, exposing more details. The less I know someone, the clearer the line gets and the further away from me it is. Adoption is new to a lot of people in my life, and I've been trying to figure out how much you can know:

Dominic is our son. We were chosen by his birth mother, T, a couple months before he was born. We met her and her family and fell in love. The birth father is not in the picture. Dominic has two biological sisters, one who we have spent time with. We are facebook friends with T. We send each other photos of our children via internet and text messaging. It is an open adoption. However, his birth mom does not see herself as Dominic's mother. He is our son, and that's the way she wants it.

That's it. That's all you need to know. To some of people there are chunks of information missing in our story. Big gaping holes, big bits of information. But I am hear to tell you, what you read is our story. It's what you get. What you don't get is 'why' Dominic's birth mother chose to place him into our arms. It is none of your business, and please listen to me when I say this: Do NOT ask anyone this question. Perhaps not all adoptive mothers feel this way, but it puts ME in an awkward position. In the past eight-plus months I have fumbled through this question, trying to find the proper answer. I was unprepared, and often ended up sharing more than I wanted, which I would later regret. My answer now is, and will always be: It is a personal decision she made, and we love her for it. We love her and her children like family.

Along the same line, do not make comments like, "Oh, he has been given a chance in life", or "He is much better off with you than his birth mom", or "Are you afraid she will come take him from you if you keep an open adoption?". The love that we adoptive parents feel for our children's birth mothers is incredible, and when you say things like this we take it personally. I am very defensive of T, and always will be. She is a wonderful human being, she is a wonderful mother, and if you feel the need to insult her, don't do it to my face. I will defend her tooth and nail, but let's just not go there, okay? (And a FYI to those who choose to judge freely, her tattoos don't make her a bad person. I mean, it's just ridiculous to make assumptions based on ink. Period.)

As for other details, they are part of Dominic's story, for him to tell. He will always know he is adopted, although we don't want it to be his identity. Much like you wouldn't expect an alcoholic to meet you by saying, "Hi, I'm Bob, and I'm an alcoholic", we don't want Dom's life to be, "Hi, I'm Dominic, and I'm adopted". If that makes sense...

As a disclaimer, I want to say I am speaking for myself. I have talked about this with several adoptive parents who feel the same way. But I don't speak for every adoptive mother. I know there are situations where children who were left abandoned, or the birth mother truly could not, in any way, care for her child(ren). I have heard of poor relationships between adoptive families and birth families. Adoption is a personal issue, and it is up to each family to place that line, to decide what they are willing to share. Don't cross the line. Think about what you are asking. Does is really make a difference in your life? Most of the time, probably not. So don't ask it.

All that being said, I am more than willing to answer general questions about adoption. Or about our story before Dominic came into the picture. Leading up to being matched with a birth family can be a crazy roller coaster, and there is a lot involved- the home study, the networking, the scams. That stuff I'm willing to share, because so many people in my life know so little about adoption, and I would love to educate them. But when it comes to Dominic and his birth family, just don't go there.

Thank you, sincerely. :)

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura~
You took the words out of my mouth. I know EXACTLY how you feel and I can say it from my experencies. We are trying to keep everything to us and Lexie as we can besides that her mom came to us. We love our birthmom and always will too. I know that feeling. We are both blessed with amazing children and blessed with an amazing birthmom, who life's choice is theirs and not the rest of the worlds. If you are in Houghton area at all this summer lets get together and meet. We will be down from Alaska for almost 3 months. Also I would love to meet your son he is georgous. Hugs~ Jennie

Laura Jean said...

Jennie- you managed to find a way to spend the summer in MI? True yoopers!!! :D Definitely we should get together- we try make it up there a few times once he snow melts. I sent you an email awhile back but I don't know if you got it. Hope all is going well with your family! :)

Shine said...

Wonderful post Laura!

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

You have such a way with words, Laura... thank you for sharing. We would love to adopt someday if God intends for it to be... I get a lot of questions, too like "Why don't you 'just' adopt?"---as if it is an easy, quick painless process. Yes, I would love to adopt, but that is not something you say to an infertile person. Have to tell myself that people are just completely ignorant of how it feels which would apply to your situation as well. I say Bravo! to all you wonderful adoptive parents and brithparent(s)... adoption is such a blessing to think of. Hugs to you and little Dominic :)

Sue said...

This is your story and you only have to tell what you want.
By the grace of God he found his way from heaven to you through the loving arms of a birth mother and that's all that matters.
God bless birthmothers and the adoptive families they choose.

Sharyn said...

My sister is a birthmother - so I do find myself genuinely interested in how others go about adoption and the roads it takes them on. Everybody's situation is so completely different.

I know that when my sister made her choice, it was for her reasons and hers alone. Many (me included) offered but she made her choice.

What I love about the open adoption is that I still know my niece to some extent (about as well as you can know some teenagers) but I'm comforted in knowing that she is well taken care of, loved, and that she knows where we are and how to get ahold of us should she ever want to. We are friends on facebook too.

While she is being raised different than my sister might have raised her - she is very repectful (although sometimes frustrated) of the choices they make for her. She respects that they are the parents.

So I totally get a lot of it.

He was meant for you. That's the bottom line. Like Sue said - God bless birthmothers and the adoptive families they choose.

Anonymous said...

Nicely written and it probably feels good to get it written and out there for all to read! I like how you summed it up by asking if it makes a difference in anyone else's life , and said that it probably doesn't, so don't ask! So true. Sure, we are all curious about a lot of things, but it's when curious turns to nosy..that it turns bad. It's obvious that both you and T thank God for each other! Laura Kangas-UP

Lorz said...

Sharyn,thanks for sharing your insight. Adoption IS interesting.

Laura, I felt like maybe this post was a little much, because I've been on the flip side more than once- the curious one. Maybe not about adoption, but I'm human- I am as curious as the next one. But I have learned through the adoption process to step back and realize many family matter are very personal, and unless offered information, I should mind my own business. I think you could plug many different issues where I have typed "adoption", and the same 'rules' apply.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Laura. Our birthmom too is "tattooed an pierced" and I know some people look at her like she wasn't fit to be a mom. Anyone who knows her knows she is one of the most intelligent people they will ever meet. I hate when people judge. I have been asked many of the same insensitive comments by a co-worker about my son's mom, and I avoid this person!

Anonymous said...

Haven't been here for quite a while but after our chat today, I had to check it out. Good points. Well written. <3 to you all:)

sis amy

Elizabeth Halt said...

I say bravo to you for making your line clear. It is your choice what you share and with whom. :)

Cheryl said...

Thank you for sharing this. We are in a similar situation to Jennifer's, although we have one child. I really don't think people realize how rude they are being when they ask/make comments, and just how hurtful they can be.
Your son is so lucky to have parents that love him! Birth mothers really are a gift from God, hopefully one day we are lucky enough to find one as wonderful as T sounds!
Beautifully written- if only everyone would see this!

Anonymous said...

well said. good for you.

Tina said...

and anon was Tina (Eskola) Anderson. I've run into similar/different stuff having a disabled child. I agree with whoever said that people don't know they are or aren't trying to be hurtful. but good for you making clear what's inappropriate. in general assumptions about anything usually are.

Anonymous said...

Laura,
Thank you for being you. I'm happy you got all that out. :) I'm not sure what has been said about me exactly but thank you. Its very true that people judge situations when they don't have any basis. I love my daughters.
To whom it may concern-
I love domonic, but thats why I wanted to do this, not for myself but for two people that deserve to have a son. I didnt do it because I think I'm a bad mother or anything (to who ever said that). I did it because I am a proud mother of two beautiful girls, I plainly just did not want to have anymore children and I knew I would find two wonderful people that would love him. And I love them as well. This is something I wanted, and any other issues or problems people may have, ask me I'll tell you anything you need to have clariffied. Not everyone that puts a baby for adoption; are bad mothers, drug addicts,whores, prostitutes, tattoos are art symbols..., they have meaning., Even if someone chose to be any of those , ask yourself who are you to judge? Laura is Dom's mother and Davin is a great Father, I love them both becuase they will raise him right, domonic is (their son,).And I Am and Always will be happy with my decision.

Laura Jean said...

The above comment is from T. She IS a wonderful mom- spend a short five minutes with her daughter and you'll be sold- that little girl is SO happy, and a kiddo that happy definitely doesn't have a crappy mom! T, you shared more than you ever have to, but THANKS for posting, and standing up for yourself. Lovin' you bunches right about now! ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindi said...

Sorry, that was me that deleted a comment. I am on my dad's computer. Figured you would find it odd if Ozzie made the following comment:

You are fiercely protective of the ones that you love. That shines through clearly. <3

Julie said...

YAY! Blogger is finally letting me comment on a blog. (It's prejudiced against my slow internet connection.)

Laura- I'm glad you're saying what you need to say. We love you, Davin and Dom so much. You're a beautiful family.

"T"- Although we've never met, you are loved by us and so many! You seem like the biggest sweetheart and I wish you the best. And I totally dig your tattoos! :)

Sunday's Child said...

Hey Laura,
I am new to the blogging world, but I really like your post. It is sincere and real.

Sush said...

I just passed by your blog today after I posted my post on mine.
I just fell for the type of presentation you have made of your thoughts adn facts. Hats off. Iam also inspired of the wonderful humanly lesson this post showers.
gr8 job.

Von said...

Sue said "This is your story and you only have to tell what you want."
I'm sure you appreciate that it is his story, his journey and that although he may not introduce himself later as an adoptee, he will alwyas be so and it will be part of who he is and his identity.
You are very wise to be careful in what you reveal.

couponsforzipcodes said...

Bravo!! Bravo!!! such a wonderful post and even wonderful is yours deeds...
god bless u....

Mamma Lee said...

I appreciate your take on adoption. From a different point of view, I was adopted as a child and felt uncomfortable when people would ask me why I was adopted. The important thing is, You love that child and CHOSE that child to be your own when his/her bilogical parents could not. Bless you for opening your home and hearts to a child that needed one.

Berta said...

I stumbled upon your blog when I clicked "Next Blog" from my blog. And I think I will continue to read!

I am an adoptive mom in waiting. Haven't been chosen yet...but someday I believe it WILL happen.

This post was a good reminder to me about not oversharing (which I tend to do). Can't ever take back what's already been said. Thank you! I will try to remember this when we are blessed with a child.

Happy Days to your family!
Berta