Thursday, October 30, 2008

Escape from reality

Recently, Davin and I suffered a rough set-back in the adoption process- long story short, we were going to have a baby boy 3 weeks from now, and after 7 weeks of working with the birth mother and father, they decided they wanted to raise the baby. I won't go into that here, but after about a week, we needed an escape from reality, so we headed to our own heaven on earth, the north shore. We have always stayed in Two Harbors, but this time we stayed on the canal. We walked around the canal, did some shopping (even got a Christmas gift for Davin's parents!), and watched ships come and go. I haven't done that since our parents brought us as kids! It was an amazing get-away!



We wanted to watch a ship come through at night, so we parked ourselves out on the pier fifteen minutes before it was due to leave. We didn't factor in that after pushing off, the ship still had to maneuver its gigantic a** through the port in order to get out onto Lake Superior. So we waited two hours. And it was COLD. The freezing wind affected our brains a tad, and we started getting loopy. First, I looked at the lighthouse and said "Hey, I didn't know lighthouses had addresses!"

Then we read this sign that said those who vandalized the lighthouse would be fined $2500. Half of the money would be given as a reward to the person who had information on who dunnit. So...we thought, "Hey, one of us should vandalize the lighthouse and then we can collect the reward money." Never mind the fact we would be fined double what we would receive. Or that we would NEVER vandalize. ...hey, this was funny at the time.




In the end, we were able to put aside the grief we had been feeling, and just act stupid, and think we were SO funny. Plus, waiting for that ship was worth the wait!!!
The next day we took a drive. It was a bit past peak season, but beautiful none-the-less. I couldn't believe I had never been to Enger Tower or 7 Bridges Road! We will definitely make it a tradition to hit them up every time we head north.







9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Duluth. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss, because really, that's what it was. However, I'm glad you were able to escape for a while - and the North Shore is gorgeous. The Oregon coast reminds me of it a little. :)

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear the sad news, we were so hoping that it was meant for you to start your family.
I am glad that you got a chance to get away - Duluth is such a cool city

Anonymous said...

I believe 1909 was the year it was built, not its address.


Duluth historian (not a brother in-law)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to escape from reality. It's good for the soul, isn't it?
I always believe that everything happens for a reason. Things will happen the way they were meant to.
I love your blog, Laura. We never should have lost touch. I think I like you:)

Anonymous said...

Dear Duluth historian~
With all due respect, I am certain 1909 refers to the address of lighthouse. The arcitecture of this lighthouse is CLEARLY more modern than the early 1900's. I would put it's age in the mid 50's at the earliest.
Sincerely,
Smart One (your fav sister-in-law)

Anonymous said...

Mindi~
I think I like you too! :D

Anonymous said...

http://www.terrypepper.com/Lights/superior/duluth-n-pier/duluth-n-pier.htm





Mid 50's......HA!

Anonymous said...

Cory~

Well then it was certainly remodeled and updated in the mid-50's.

Yeah, that's right, I know who you are. :P