Wednesday, February 18, 2009

More of my list: randoms

65. When I was a kid (I don't know what age exactly), I used to lay in bed at night with my eyes squeezed shut, because I was afraid if I opened my eyes Jesus might be at the foot of my bed, and I thought I'd be afraid of him. ...don't laugh- I pictured a giant ghost-like figure!

66. Also, when I was kid: When Jacob Wetterling was kidnapped I was afraid to go play in the woods because I thought he (Jacob) might be wondering around in them and I would see him and not know what to do.

67. Also, when Jacob Wetterling was kidnapped I used to stand up on my bed and jump as far out as I could to get out of bed. And I always made sure that my blankets weren't hanging over the bed. I was scared the kidnapper could be under there.

68. When I was in eighth grade I wanted to be a trucker. And live in Maine. I had never been to Maine. Today, I hate even riding in a full size van. Don't know what I was thinking back then.

69. For about a year now, my dream vehicle has been a Ford Edge. Hopefully after we adopt a baby...

70. I found out today that my car (Alero) is NOT good for toddler carseats. My 2-yr. old nephew came with me to meet his new brother today- what a pain to get him in and out of the car! I can already hear comments- "You're going to want a minivan", "You should get a minivan". I know. I don't deny the practicality. But not with one child. Not gonna happen.

71. I really hope we can adopt a baby soon. Does that count as one of my 100 things? As if everyone doesn't already know that! But this list is getting difficult so I'm using it.

72. And just to be really random: I have a major crush on Simon Baker. Well, actually it's on his character in The Mentalist. Yes, I have a crush on a fictional person. Not to worry- Davin is well aware of and okay with this crush.

Crap, 18 more to go!

21 comments:

Leanne said...

Okay, good. I needed a new post. I was always scared of under the bed, too. Sometimes I still am. I used to run and JUMP on my bed so he couldn't grab my ankles. (I still do that sometimes, although it's better now that I can reach the lamp to shut it off while I'm still in bed.)

Q: What do you think your handle would have been if you'd have been a trucker?

Lorz said...

Good question. "Sista Rock" maybe.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Don't.get.a.minivan! Don't do it!!

You ain't going to hear it from me. ;) I never wanted one. Still don't. But I do love the convenience of it now that we've had one for a few years.

I still want a truck.

Anonymous said...

I hear extendo vans are nice :)

Lorz said...

Sara- {GROAN!!!}

Megan said...

I was one who always said we would never get a mini van... but then Jenna came along and the opportunity arose..... I feel kind of old driving one sometimes, but you can't beat how nice it is not to have to bend over backwards to get the kids in and out. And the space for trips.... Awesome. So yeah they aren't the coolest thing ever.... but when your a mom, your kids will think your cool no matter what you drive. :)

Megan said...

oh yeah, who was/is Jacob Wetterling?

Anonymous said...

I remember Jacob Wetterling like it happened yeasterday. It is probably the most profound memory I have as a kid. (Meg- he was a kid that was abducted near St. Cloud - never found his abductor)

Your adoption comment - that's hardly a random thought. Sorry, but can't imagine that pops up in your mind only once in a while.

Shari

Anonymous said...

I remember Jacob Wetterling like it happened yeasterday. It is probably the most profound memory I have as a kid. (Meg- he was a kid that was abducted near St. Cloud - never found his abductor)

Your adoption comment - that's hardly a random thought. Sorry, but can't imagine that pops up in your mind only once in a while.

Shari

Anonymous said...

Hee hee! the chat isn't he only place I can can post a message twice. This really was an accident though. Promise.
Shari

Lorz said...

Sure, Shari, an accident! Kidding, you can post a dozen times if you want- I don't care! I guess adoption isn't random. It's more or less a thought buzzing around and around and around in my head. :D

Lorz said...

Sure, Shari, an accident! Kidding, you can post a dozen times if you want- I don't care! I guess adoption isn't random. It's more or less a thought buzzing around and around and around in my head. :D

Anonymous said...

ha!
Shari

MindiJo said...

First of all: Love your background!!

Jacob Wetterling's abuction was a huge event in our lives, wasn't it? I remember biking to and from (mostly) N**m*l*'s house and peddling as fast as I could because I was sure someone was going to pop out of the cornfield and kidnap me. Then a breeze would blow and the cornstalks would rustle and I'd peddle harder. I almost hyperventilated before I got home. Almost not worth going to play with someone else. Almost.

Minivans are overrated. Trust me, I have one. I thought I'd fall in love because everybody told me I would. Not true. And according to my Dave Ramsey plan, I'm just sorta stuck with it for a while.

Anonymous said...

The fear after Jacob Wetterling was abducted ran rampant throughout the country. I'm pretty sure it touched kids everywhere! I remember being scared all the way over in Michigan!

It still makes me so sad for his family, to this day, that they have no 'closure'...

Anonymous said...

I still HATE Halloween due to Jacob Wetterling's abduction. I tolerate it for the kids. Mindi-I am so with you on the creepy cornfields and hyperventilating.

Lorz said...

Agree on the cornfields! I also hated- and still do (even though I rarely do)- walking up mom and dad's driveway after dark!!! S.C.A.R.Y.

Mindi~ Darn that Dave Ramsey. :P

Anonymous said...

I remember feeling the same way about the cornfields. Cokato is way too close to St. Cloud.

Laura - I challenge you to read dave Ramsey just once, you know, just to see what the hype is about. It's catchy I tell ya. Mark just came home from work the other day and he said, "It is just crazy how many people I talk to that are on Dave Ramsey." After 14 months of being on the program I can say it is a wonderful program that can work for anyone that wants it. (sorry - couldn't help myself. Dave's paying me for the ad)

Amanda Kay said...

I'm thinking I should find out about this DR. I seem to be saving pretty good at the moment, but it would be nice to get some tips.

Somehow I missed the whole Jacob W thing...pretty glad too, I still check under my bed and in the shower on occasion...hey better safe than sorry when the husband isn't home. But man, I hate being a chicken!!

Anonymous said...

Amy, Remember when we asked the Ouji Board where Jacob Wetterling was??? That was totally creepy. :/ I still think of the answer to this day... but it's 5:04 a.m. and I'm working the tail end of a night shift and I can't recall the answer at this minute! :D How lame is that!??! Oh wait! Desmoinse, Iowa, right??

I also check closets, showers, under beds sometimes when hubby is gone.

Laura, beautious background! I love it! It's springy and makes me happy(er). :)

Cyndi

Anonymous said...

OH! And we're Dave Ramsey fans, too. That man's got some good, solid info for us all to say, "I'M DEBT FREE!!!" Cyndi