Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Seriously???

A couple days ago I came across an article stating that adoption is morally wrong. Adopting is criminal for adoptive parents because of the pain they put onto the birth mother. And it is criminal for birth mothers to "throw away" what is supposed to be theirs. I tried looking for this article yesterday and couldn't find it, but I did come across another one, which is very similar to what the other said. I am curious of your opinion of this article. Me, personally, it made me speechless. I don't even know how to reply to such opinions, honestly.

http://www.originsnsw.com/fathers/id3.html

As a side note, I was encouraged while looking for the article. When I typed in "adoption" and "wrong" or "morally wrong", I got probably 50 hits of pro-adoption to 1 anti-adoption.

ETA: I probably shouldn't have even posted this, but I find the idea so out there, that I had to share. I certainly have not one ounce of doubt that adoption is anything but good. I just wonder how a mind works to believe so strongly against adoption, you know?

5 comments:

Sharyn said...

I'm not going to read the article - I know with all my heart, without reading, that the article is wrong.

There is nothing NOTHING wrong with adoption. Nothing.

My sister gave up a child for adoption. Davin might remember/know her. She was due just six week after I was due for my first baby. I offered to adopt her child, my mother offered, we offered to raise her - whatever we could do. Terri didn't want that. She chose a lovely family out in California. And you know what - Anna was meant to be with that family - as hard as it is for us. It's an open adoption, so I have full contact with her - she's my facebook niece, etc, Christmas gifts, etc. That she's with her family out in California was meant to be. Period.

(as a side- I think of you when I think of them - when Terri chose them she was told to make positive sure as this couple had been given three babies that were taken away with a change of heart at the last second - they know your heartache and rollercoaster so well)

I think the same when I see friends with adopted children - it was meant - so very very clearly - it was meant. It's not morally wrong. Not even close.

MindiJo said...

I couldn't even read the whole thing. Don't read stuff like that. Those people are absolutely wrong. Where in the bible, might I ask, does it state that adoption is wrong? I thought so. There will always be people who oppose everything.

I think it's a selfless, yet heartbreaking thing when one mother knows that she is unable to give her child the kind of life he/she deserves. And incredibly wonderful that there are people who accept these children as their own and give them what they need.

Ignore those kinds of things. Adoption is an amazing thing. Don't forget that.

Sue said...

The fact that when you googled this and came up with a 50:1 approval is a good indicator of how people feel.
What can be wrong about opening your home and heart to an innocent child and raising it as your own?
It is not a decision that is made easily on either side.
When the birth Mother's dream of a better life for her child crosses with the adoptive parent's dream of parenthood the child is placed in a home where it had been born in their hearts already. It just needed to find it's way. DNA doesn't make a Mother or Father, love does.
Best of luck to you and Davin.

Julie said...

It looks like the Origins group was started by mothers who adopted out their children and regretted it. I'm sure every mother who gives up a child experiences regret and sadness but maybe some find peace with it more than others. Adoption is a wonderful gift and you'll make awesome parents.

Tara said...

I started to read the article, but it appeared to be written by someone who is a little twisted, so I couldn't keep going. I think adoption can be absolutely the right choice in many situations.