Friday, September 18, 2009

Working toward Normal

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. The amount of comments to my last post surprised (and humbled) me. The sole reason for me writing my thoughts and feelings was to bring awareness to mental illness, nothing more. Ever since I first conquered mental illness several years ago, I promised myself that I would become an advocate for mental illness. I want to do more someday to help others, but today I can just share my experience and hope that helps, even just a little.

On that note, things are a little better. I'm not in bed as much. I went to see my psychiatrist yesterday and we're working back to the the meds I was on before things got bad. I wish I could just pop a pill and everything would be back to normal, but it will take work on my part also. I crashed, and now it's up to me to pick myself up. I know I need the meds- I was very anti-med years ago, and have since learned and accepted that I have a chemical imbalance, and I do actually NEED the meds. My diagnosis was (is) depression (moderate to severe), anxiety disorder, and borderline personality disorder. These are diagnoses that I will always live with. However, when things are under control, you would never know. In fact, I like to think they kind of "go away", but I am always prone to them. The reality is they are there, in my brain, but drugs and therapy keep them at bay. Either way, I've learned to be okay with it as long as I'm feeling normal. They say there is no such thing as normal. There is to me. I know when I feel normal- my normal- and that's what I strive for. That is what I am going for right now. Today. Tomorrow. Every day until I get there.

Thanks again. I hope everyone has a great weekend! :)

5 comments:

Julie said...

It makes my heart happy (as Ethan would put it) to hear that things are moving in the right direction. :) Love and prayers, always, for you (and your hubby). By the way, I laugh every time I read your twitter message about "Being a girl ain't no piece of cake. Ooooh, cake."

MindiJo said...

You have a good weekend, too!

Sara said...

I think one of the hardest things to deal with, when I was struggling with depression, was how alone I felt. I came across a website for friends and family: http://www.whatadifference.org/
Good luck- I hope everything continues to go well.

Lorz said...

Wow, Sara, what a great site. That is the kind of awareness I want to bring to people. Thanks for sharing. :)

Amanda Kay said...

Glad you are on your way to your normal! Thinking of you!