Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I changed my mind


I changed my word(s) for the new year. No, I don't care that we're halfway through January. :P I had chosen 'happy' and 'healthy'. Today I changed it to "positive energy". Okay, so it's more of a phrase, not a word. But still. I truly think I do carry good energy, but I also know I carry some negative energy. I think my sarcasm comes across as negative sometime, even when I don't mean for it to. And this time of year- well, I struggle in the winter. But I'm going to try. For example, today I went to the doctor because I thought (correctly, as it turns out) that I have a sinus infection. When I was getting ready to leave I started crying. I have been feeling crappy for several days now, and I haven't been able to run (or even walk) on the treadmill because of my pulled hamstring. It was cold out and all I wanted to do was crawl into bed and fall asleep until I felt better. I turned onto a road a block from where we live and gasped (literally). There is a small cemetery on the corner of the block, tucked in a little forest of great big pine trees. At the moment every branch of every tree was frosted white and twinkling in the sunlight. It was beautiful. I'm no professional photograher, but I stopped the car and did my best. (I didn't really do it justice). As I drove to my appointment I thought to myself, "Laura, you live in Minnesota. No, you don't HAVE to be here, but you are. And while you're here you're just gonna have to deal with winter. And since you have to deal with it, why not embrace it?" ...well, embracing winter doesn't mean I'll go making snow angels everyday (or ever), but I will do my best to not complain when the temps dip below zero. I won't complain when there is ice on the roads and it takes me an extra 10 minutes to get to where I'm going. Nope. I'm going to keep my eyes open to catch as many frosted trees as I can. THAT I can enjoy now. I'll enjoy the green and warmth in a few months.


Anyway, Idol's on- more later. :D

6 comments:

Julie said...

Beautiful photo...

I like those words. :)

Jan said...

ahhh, I like that tree.
I kind of went through a similar revelation earlier this winter, and it has helped me along this year- I struggle with SAD as well.

Definitely using your "wise mind" Way to go!

ethiopifinn said...

love that tree!

you are the boss lady. go with your glad self!

Anonymous said...

I love that photo!! Add a fence to it and it would be gorgeous in a frame!! :)

Mari said...

That is magical. We had frosted trees all the way to the Big City last week. Winter is what it is; everything is what it is. So we might remember the Serenity Prayer when things start to get to us, and be thankful for the frosted trees that make even the gloom of winter beautiful. Hope you feel better soon!

Elizabeth Halt said...

By the way, this photo is BEAUTIFUL. I would frame it.