Saturday, January 10, 2009

The dark days- part 2

NOTE: I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TO SKIP THIS POST IF THE PREVIOUS POST (PART 1) WAS DIFFICULT. (I did not sugar coat anything)

...

The battle with my depression consumed almost four years of our marriage. Some things are vivid in my memory, while others are quite blurry. I can remember certain events but don't always recall when exactly they took place. So bear with my babbling...

I remember feeling an emotion, and feeling frustrated because I didn't know what that emotion was. I started getting worked up. My mind raced and my body shook. I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. I felt like I was out of control and I didn't have a clue how to handle it. When I began experiencing this feeling of complete anxiety and rage I resorted to physically hurting myself. I would hit my head over and over against a hard surface. This became a sort of habit. It was a small release to feel the sharp pain, the skin breaking, followed my throbbing, and then numbness. (I have a permanent indentation on my forehead from this). This act usually ended with me exhausted and crying myself into a deep sleep. Of course if Davin was around, this 'release' wasn't so easy because he would obviously try stop me. This angered me, which led to me trying to push him away, yelling, hitting at him, and this exhausted me enough to fall asleep.

One night, less than a year after we were married, I had this feeling of anxiety and rage. Davin was home, but I felt determined to hurt myself, as I felt I needed to feel that pain. I don't recall the events exactly, but I this is one of the few times I cut myself. I was in a different room than Davin. I was hiding from him, but looking back I know this was a cry for help. I was out of control and I didn't know what to do. Davin came into the room and I believe I showed him what I had been doing- my 'cuts' barely broke skin- I felt the pain, but didn't want to die. This lead to a battle of him trying to get the knife away from me and me yelling that I wanted to die. Whatever happened, it was loud enough for a neighbor to call the police. When they knocked on the door, I tried to hold Davin back from answering it. He tried to drag me with him, as he didn't want me to be alone with the knife. By the time the door was opened I was hysterical. An officer physically sat on me on the couch to hold me still while they called an ambulance. This was my first of many trips to the ER. I don't believe I was admitted this time, but I did have three hospital stays in the couple years after that.

I went to counseling. Trying to pinpoint what was causing my depression, I started to blame my marriage. I shouldn't have gotten married so young. I felt tied down and suffocated. The truth is that Davin encouraged me to do whatever I wanted to do in life. For some reason I just wanted to be un-married. I thought that's what the problem was. And, wouldn't you believe, my counselor at the time agreed. She actually encouraged me to think about leaving Davin. Which I eventually entertained as an option. I one time 'moved out'. I think I lasted a weekend. Another time I decided to move to Arizona for a winter. I made it to Oklahoma before turning around.

...In a way, this is easy to talk about because I have accepted that this was my life, and I have been in a good, stable place for many years now. However, it is never easy to look at how bad I made life for Davin. When I fought him, he sat there and let me. When I blamed him for how I felt, he took the blame. When I wanted out, he gave me money and helped me pack. He just wanted me to be happy and was willing to do anything to make that happen as long as it meant me staying alive. I don't think most men- especially newly married ones, would have put up with what I put him through. I wish I could leave the parts about me hurting him out of this, but it was very real. And he never left my side. Not once. Not a day goes by that I forget that.

13 comments:

MindiJo said...

That post brought tears to my eyes. Because your husband's love for you is so amazingly strong. You are one lucky girl.

And, again, thank you for sharing this. I am sure it was difficult. I really cannot imagine what you went through, I don't even know what to say. I know you don't want sympathy. I will say this: I hope you never have to go back to those kind of days.

Leanne said...

Laura knows how much I love her. She also understands, I'm sure, how hard these entries are for me. I remember these times third-person, and the fear and helplessness I felt then. I can't help but re-live a little of that now. So I am thankful for the last paragraph, where she reminds us that she's healthy now, and while I'm a little sad, it might help someone else admit that it's okay to say you're not okay.

Anonymous said...

You have both been thru alot. I admire your strength to both look at the past, and to be open and honest about it.

Anonymous said...

Geez, sister! These "memories" remind me of how hard times were and also how much I have ALWAYS thanked God that He gave Davin to you. Not that Davin knew what to do but I remember how helpless I felt and was SO grateful that you had such a rock in your life. Also, I am glad you added the last statements as this brought tears to my eyes and the love you two have is a special gift. Amazing to see you exposing yourself like this! I love you:)

Anonymous said...

Now you have me crying... I can relate so much to the emotions you've described.

Although, I've never felt like inflicting pain upon myself, I have wanted to die and I have wanted to, quite literally, tear my house apart piece by piece. - Amazingly, I have never broken anything! (That is the thing about depression that so many don't understand - everyone feels things differently and everyone deals with it differently. Every case of depression is unique. You could never 'compare' anyone. That's why I think it's so important for people to be more open, to help others understand that.) It is the most awful feeling to feel that much anxiety and rage and feel like you don't know what to do with it. When you don't even understand where it's coming from.

My husband is still here for me after the awful two-three year span when I had severe postpartum depression. He stood by me even when he didn't know what to do and I am so thankful to God that he was given the strength to. I love him so much because of it! And, I too, never forget that.

It isn't easy for them to sit there and 'watch', feeling 'helpless' because they don't know what to do.

Laura, you are so brave to be so open. I've often wanted to share more of my story but because my littlest siblings read my blog, I haven't. I think we need to share. We need to talk. And we need to raise awareness. And, no one wants sympathy or pity. I can especially understand that. It sounds like you feel much as I do about just wanting to 'open' eyes. :) Thanks for being so brave.

Julie said...

I am so glad that you made it to this place where you are now. In some ways it seems like years and years ago that you dealt with that but then again you never do forget the feeling of watching a loved one struggle with that kind of pain.

-Julie

P.S. You and Davin are so darn cutsey with each other nowadays. Gag me!

Just kidding- it's precious.

Pete/Heidi said...

Laura,
Thank you for sharing your story, it is important that people know about depression as an illness. Although I have not personally dealt with depression, I certainly know a number of people who have...

I admire the strength it took to share this very personal struggle with the people who read your blog & the strength (and support) get to the healthy person that you are today. You are certainly luck to have had such a strong support system (and Davin)! Heidi

Michelle F said...

Laura, wow - what strength you have to share your story. My hope for you is that you will never have to return to those dark days and the future will keep getting better.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to post my name either, as I think I remember you from Kyds many years ago, but I'm sure you have no idea who I am. Thank you for sharing your story, each bit helps someone understand that mental illness is real. When I was diagnosed with postpartum depression, I only told a few people. I had got so good at hiding how I really felt, even from my husband, that no one believed me, they thought that the Drs diaganoses was wrong, but in my heart I knew it wasnt. Reading this masde me cry and brought back some tough memories, I wish I could have read somethinkg like this a long time ago, and I wouldn't have put myself through 2 1/2 years of hell before getting the help that I needed. I really admire you for being able to share your story so candidly. Thank you.

Amy said...

Hi Laura,

Thank you for sharing your story. I hope that the more people hear about depression and other mental illnesses that it will encourage more people to seek help if needed, as well as increase understanding. 1 out of 5 people will battle depression at some point in their lives, so you are not alone, as others have already attested to.

I hope 2009 brings you and Davin many blessings. :)

MindiJo said...

Wow! Look at your response, Laura! I had to come back and read everybody's reactions. Really, I think that you did such a good thing describing your experiences here. Everybody who goes through something like this has a different experience, like Jennifer said. But you are so honest, it's comforting for others to know that they are not alone. Let's face it, nobody wants the stigma of "being crazy". And I think that's what they think people are going to say. I think society is realizing that it's an illness and needs to be treated and that you should not be ashamed of it.

That's quite a statistic that Amy shared. I was not aware that it is so common.

JoLynn said...

Hi Laura,

I checked on your blog earlier and it wasn't there...I thought you had decided to take it down for some reason...glad to see that you didn't! :)

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure that wasn't easy! That must have taken a lot of courage to do that...I admire you for that. I also admire Davin for supporting you through it all. Glad to hear you are in a "good" spot now!!

Anonymous said...

I too will not post my name and just wanted to say that you have an amazing, amazing husband.

I will admit when I first started reading this post, I thought oh my but you know it would be a lie to say that I have never felt this way or acted out. Thank you for sharing your painful story.