Monday, January 12, 2009

The dark days- part 3

Right after I posted my previous entry (part 2) I wondered if it was smart for me to be sharing so much information. I debated taking it down. However, between the responses I got from it and the promise I made to myself, I kept it up and will finish my story. I will warn you, however, that like many things in life, my situation got worse before it got better.
...
I want to talk a little more about the mask I wore. I felt like I was two people. On the outside I often times appeared "normal"- I often times could perform my day-to-day activities. I sometimes had a job. I hung out with friends and family. I lived my life. However, on the inside, there was a beast, and the longer I wore my mask the more restless it became and the more agitated I became. I always tried to push this beast to the back of my head. However, it would inevitably come to a point where I was battling myself in my head. I fought this beast, and it fought back. In the end these emotions of sadness, of rage, of confusion would burst out of me, sometimes with no warning. This is when I would get out of control. I could have been telling Davin that I was feeling good every day for the an entire month and suddenly I would explode. Which brought me to hurting myself.

All but one time that I attempted suicide were pure acts of desperation- I needed help and I didn't know what to do. I believe the first time was about a year after we were married. I opened a bottle of Excedrin and began taking them. I just kept popping them in my mouth. After a while I got really scared that I might actually die that I went and told Davin what I had been doing in the bathroom. He rushed me to the nearest hospital. By the time we got there I was shaking violently from the caffeine in the pills. I was lucky enough to not have my stomach pumped. I was forced to drink charcoal which made me throw up over and over- all while my body shook. ...I didn't want to die. If I had, I don't think I would have told Davin what I had done.

Another time I went for a walk. I walked to a nearby overpass and thought about jumping. I ended up calling Davin from my cell phone- he called the police on his way over- the police showed up and pulled me away. Again, if I really wanted to die, I would not have called Davin. One might wonder why I wouldn't just take off that mask and tell Davin I felt out of control and needed help rather than resorting to suicide threats. The answer to that comes back to the beast I was battling. Part of me wanted to ask for help, but for whatever reason, that ugly beast was out to destroy me. There aren't always clear answers when it comes to depression- sometimes it makes no sense at all- that's what makes it so scary.

Being in the hospital mental health unit is a scary place to be. I was surrounded by ill patients- some that suffered from illnesses more violent than my own. People talked to themselves. People yelled at the voices in their heads. I remember thinking "I don't belong here". Which made me doubt that I was sick at all. I didn't hear voices. I didn't see things that weren't there. Therefore I must not be crazy, right? Of course I was there for a reason- for example, I was standing on the edge of an overpass. But when I was suffering from moderate to severe depression and was locked up with others who had schizophrenia or similar illnesses, I started to think maybe I was imagining my illnesses. I felt like I should just get a grip and get over it. This is another battle I had many times. I felt like I was just feeling sorry for myself, and I had better just get over it. I am telling you right now, one should never have to have that battle in their head. If you ever feel you are depressed- you have a hard time dealing with the little and big things in life, or want to die, don't second guess yourself. Ever. You deserve help just as much as the next person.

The hospital I was in also had an outpatient program called partial hospitalization. I went through it on two separate occasions, and it proved to be very useful to me. The program was 9-3, Monday through Friday. It involved many activities, including daily group therapy. The program is meant to get you back on track with your life. Patients learn skills to cope with stresses in their lives, and help them figure out exactly how they are going to handle day to day life when they finish the program. It also provided monitoring and 'tweaking' of your medications.

I originally didn't want to be on meds- who does?- but I gave in. I accepted that my depression was more than a bump in the road, that I had a chemical imbalance in my brain. Mental illness, for some reason, is often compared to diabetes. Basically, you do not choose to have diabetes, just as you do not choose to have depression. So I went on medication. It took a lot of tweaking. a couple years worth. But the correct medication and dosage was eventually found for me, and I take it to this day. I still see my psychiatrist every few months for maintenance, and sometimes, tweaking. I have accepted I will always be on medication. Why? Because today I am happy. Today I am stable. I live what I consider 'normal'- I have felt 'normal' for several years now. Why on earth would I mess with that? I want to be a healthy mom for my children. I want to be a healthy wife and friend. I have an illness, but with medication and the skills that I have learned it is no longer part of my life. If I go off meds, that beast will come forward again, and there is no way I am letting that happen!

...I have at least one more post coming. Once I re-straighten my thoughts.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura, I can't thank you enough for sharing. I know how hard it is. People can find it shocking when anyone talks about their bouts with depression. Yet it's so important to. Absolutely nothing you wrote shocks me because I know exactly how you felt. I can't get over how well you put into words the feelings one has when they have depression. You describe them so well. And anyone who has gone through those emotions knows exactly what you describe.

I didn't want to die either and the things I did were cries for help. I knew that deep down, but yet, just as you mentioned, I never knew how to say that to anyone. Describing it as a beast is perfect. It's as if a monster is locked up inside of you. There is no other way to describe it!

I'm so happy for you to know you are well and healthy now!

I am, too, and it makes me so thankful that I can say that. That I'm here and I'm happy and healthy and what a blessing to be able to use the word 'normal' to descibe your life!!

And, I'm so happy for you that you can realize that you have to take medication. I get so worried when I think of how many people think they shouldn't or can't or won't. Everyone deserves to feel 'normal'. I've accepted that I will have to if I'm ever pregnant again. (I'm NOT taking my chances that I might go through PPD again.)

Lorz said...

Jennifer~
I am so glad that you also are doing well! I didn't know you struggled, but I always imagine that there are probably many more moms than I know of that have PPD, and try battle through on their own. My hope is that it there becomes more awareness for that specific depression, and new mothers can get help so that they can enjoy their babies, rather than sink into a dark hole. Thanks for opening up!

Anonymous said...

It's my hope, too! I sat in silence for over two years before I got help because I thought I could 'deal with it' or that it might go away or that maybe it was nothing. I just didn't understand enough, what was going on. That's why I'm such an advocate for talking about it.

I was pregnant with Aapo, my second child before I got it. And I got it DURING my pregnancy, about midway through. A lot of people don't understand that about depression. It can hit you at any time, including postpartum depression. It's not necessarily 'postpartum'. It can happen either 'during' or 'after' a pregnancy.

I could cry when I think of how thankful I am to be on this end. Happy and 'normal'. I didn't think it was possible to feel like this ever again, at the time. I was on medication for about a year or so. I've been off of it for over two years now - but I'm also not pregnant. That's why I said I'd have to take it again. If I get pregnant, I plan to. I don't consider it an 'option' for me.

I've talked about the whole thing on my blog but I don't have an 'anxiety' or 'depression' catagory for my posts. I just started one on 'anxiety' but I need to go back through my posts (someday!) and link all of them.

MindiJo said...

seriously, are you moderating comments here? I have left two comments that haven't shown up. I give up.

Lorz said...

Really, Mindi? I don't know why you can't leave comments... ???

Elizabeth Halt said...

I'm glad you won. And I'm glad you had Davin.

MindiJo said...

Ditto to Elizabeth's comments. And for Jennifer, too. That was basically what I was saying. In a couple more words.

Anonymous said...

Laura and Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing. I have to say that I am thankful that I have a greater understanding after my cousin (you know him) was diagnosed with schizophrenia and was in and out of mental health units, and after I did my clinical rotation in mental health, and after I finally realized that I very likely had a 'mild' case of PPD after my first child was born. Mental illness, in whatever form and by whatever diagnosis, is a frightening place as you both know well. It is not an easily fixable condition, like a broken bone, infection, etc. I am so thankful you're both happy on THIS side of things!

Jen, your comments about PPD re-ignite my fire to keep things moving at my hospital for our PPD task force. There are so many... TOO many, women who go through it thinking it's just the way things have to be. There IS help out there, and that is what we're trying to get the word out about at my job. Thanks again for sharing! I believe I came across your comment here for a reason tonight. :)

Anonymous said...

Laura, I had to come back to read all of the responses on all of these posts.

Wow.....I'm in tears at the response you have recieved. Just to know that others are reading and learning means so much even to me, having gone through it myself.

Cyndi, thank you from all women who have suffered, or will suffer, from PPD in their lifetime. Keep that fight going and push for better awareness, better information, and better care! You can not push hard enough until all lives are saved from this awful illness.

Laura, thank you again for helping to raise awareness. I know exactly how hard it is to write about, to relive it. Thank you for what you did. For me, and for so many others. Just to know we're not alone is an amazing thing in and of itself. Depression makes you feel alone, but you're NEVER alone.((((HUGS!!))))