Thursday, December 4, 2008

10:26 pm

48) Every time I happen to see 10:26 pm on a digital clock a make a wish.

This started way back, I don't know, maybe when I was in high school. I noticed that I happened to look at my bedroom clock at exactly 10:26 pm many nights in a row. It was a pure coincidence. So, being the loopy-loop that I am, I started to make a wish each time I saw it. Rules developed over time- here they are, laid out for the first time ever.

1) I cannot sit and wait for 10:26. I can only make a wish if I randomly look at the clock and it is 10:26.
2) The wish has to be specific. For example, I cannot simply wish for a baby. That could mean I would get a baby 10 years from now. Nor can I wish for a baby this month. Because that could mean December of 2016.
3) The wish must be ended with a "Thank You".
4) Once I make the wish I have to shut my eyes and keep them shut until the clock turns to 10:27.

This can be tricky. When I see 10:26 I have no idea if I have 59 seconds or 4 seconds to make my wish. If the clock turns before I'm done, the wish is no good. Once I shut my eyes, I don't know how long they should be closed. If I open them and it is still 10:26 the wish won't come true. Likewise, if it is 10:28, the wish is also nixed.

10:26 pm seperates my wishes from my prayers. In my wishes I can wish for anything, no matter how bizarre. ...hm, that's probably why they never come true, hey? Even still, it's something I've been doing for years, and I'll probably be still being doing when I'm milking it in a nursing home.

Oh, and this all brings me to

49) My favorite number is 26. Because of above story, of course! :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it. Though the rules seem rather strict, especially that closing eyes until 10.27 thing!

Anonymous said...

That's not so wierd. I'm kind of superstitious, too. I do the same thing with 11:11 or 1:11 or 2:22 or 3:33...you get the idea. And I don't have to look back at the clock, but I can't see it switch to the next number. And I don't place any stock in the actual wish. But I still do it. I did it a lot as a kid (I had even more odd superstitions back then that I'm glad to be rid of. Some of them used to make me pretty anxious).

Anonymous said...

Because I have "chosen" 10:26 (I think it chose me), I have given up the right to make a wish at 11:11, 1:11, 2:22, 3:33, 4:44, or 5:55. That's another rule. :D

Anonymous said...

I do that too, Leanne. And also kiss the clock.

Anonymous said...

Funny! Mine is 10:52. I happened to always see the clock at 10:52, and i happen to know that i was born at 10:52 a.m.
One of our boys was born at 10:52 a.m. (not the same day as me), and one day says "mom, i always see the clock when it's 10:52."
crazy coincidences. and although i don't always make a wish, i feel the same as you in that 11:11 etc. has no significance anymore.
~the U.P. Laura Kangas

Anonymous said...

Me? Superstitious? Noooo.... Mindi- I like that you kiss the clock. Although it seems germ-y to me. What??? Laura, I'll have to find out what time I was born...that would be weird.

Anonymous said...

I do the same as Leanne. I just can't look back and see the same time again or the wish doesn't come true. That's supposing it will come true.

I haven't done that in years. I rarely look at the clock anymore. Hmmmmm... Interesting. Maybe I should! Wishes do come true sometimes.