Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What's your favorite Christmas carol?

'Tis the season! I am warily caving in. It may be the nice cards we have been getting in the mail. Or the white crap on the ground. That's what I call snow, if you didn't already figure that. However, considering that is what I call it, I highly doubt it is the reason I am giving in to the Christmas spirit....or is it? One never knows with my twisted mind. Regardless, I have had my car radio tuned to 99.9 for the last couple days- all Christmas songs, all season long. And I have to admit- I love Christmas carols. Last week at the hospital the men's choir was rehearsing for the tree lighting ceremony and I had to stop and listen for a few minutes. Never mind that a nice elderly patient was waiting for me to bring him to his room. KIDDING- I had already taken him- I was just returning a wheelchair. :)

Anyhoo...there are so many beautiful carols. And fun ones. My favorite one is The Little Drummer Boy. Why? Because I love the tune- I love how it sounds. However, I realized the other day as it was playing on the radio that I don't all the words. This is how I am with music. I love a song for its sound, but rarely know all the lyrics. Sometimes I'll be singing along to a song on the radio and suddenly I realize what I'm singing, and I'm like "Whoa! That's a BAD song!" So my goal this Christmas season is to actually listen to the lyrics of the carols.

So, what's your favorite Christmas carol, and why?

By the way, after listening to all the lyrics of The Little Drummer Boy, it still is my favorite. :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite is "Mary, Did you know?"

If you listen to the words, it is so powerful. Especially the part that says, "this child that you delivered, will soon deliver you"
Or "when you kiss your little baby, you kiss the face of God".
It seriously fills my heart fuller than I thought possible and brings tears to my eyes. Every time. My mom was the one that made me fall in love with it in the first place.

It's awesome. And on my blog, if you want to listen.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you that I tagged you on my blog.

Anonymous said...

My two most favorites are O' Holy Night (gives me chills) and Ave Maria. (Preferably by Josh Groban but I like many other versions as well!) They both are so beautiful and emotional.

I do the same thing with songs, I love them for the 'sound' but rarely know the words. It's frustrating when I want to sing along to a favorite and I don't even know them. Happens all the time.

It has always taken me ages to memorize the words to any given song. It just doesn't come naturally to me.

I remember cruising with Amy, Jeanne, and Cyndi and whoever else would be with us and they'd know all the words to so many songs. I was always envious. ;) Haha!

Anonymous said...

I love pretty much all Christmas carols, but "Little Drummer Boy" has always been my favorite, too!

I think it's because Mrs. Henderson (teacher) gave the book for Christmas in 1st grade, but it could also be that I can at least sing along with every other line!

Anonymous said...

Mindi- I listened- that song is indeed beautiful!

Jennifer- LOL. I love that I'm not the only one that doesn't catch onto lyrics quickly. :D

Sara- Hi! Who Sara are you? Bad question, maybe, but I don't know- sorry!

Anonymous said...

1st clue:

We're married to brothers. Does that help? :)

Anonymous said...

Haha, Thanks, Sara! I'll be seeing you soon, if all goes well! :)

Anonymous said...

It's a tie: What Child is This, Angels we Have Heard on High, O Holy Night, Joy to the World, O Come Let us Adore Him, Silent Night, and O Come All Ye Faithful.

Anonymous said...

oh man .. do I know that lyrics thing. I love the beats of hip-hop but can never understand the words - and some of my favorite songs are not good at all, but I loved the beat long before I realized what they were actually saying.

I did like that Mary Did You Know song on Mindi's blog.

My favorites are: Angels We Have Heard on High (it's easy to sing faster and I like the melody and it was my favorite one to play on the piano), O Holy Night (melody), and We Three Kings (melody and I love the verses that no one else ever sings).

Anonymous said...

oh - and "Do You Hear What I Hear" ! Is that the Drummer Boy song?

Anonymous said...

I forgot: Away in the Manger and Hark the Herald. I like a lot of Christmas song!

Anonymous said...

nope, it's not the Drummer Boy song. I was just singing a song and realized it was the Drummer Boy song, and that it was not the same as the Do You Hear What I Hear song. :)