Thursday, November 13, 2008

How could I not blog about this day!

I really had planned on taking a long break. Then today happened. And there is just no way I can't NOT blog about it- it's just waaaay to good. And by good, I mean really crappy, but outrageous enough to talk about. I'm gonna tell about my day going backwards- that way I can promise it will end on a really GOOD note!

I got fired from my job. Wait, that's not the good part- the good part is how it happened. I went into the salon to buy some product and as I was paying for it my boss says- loudly, across the salon- that I no longer get my discount. She was cutting a client's hair at the time. It went something like this:

Boss: Oh, Laura doesn't get a discount anymore.
Me: Really? I thought you had said it was okay.

Oh, I should explain. I have been out of work for about two months due to an elbow injury. A WORK injury. I initially filed workers comp a over a year ago when it happened, but quit after the first couple appointments because it was a pain and we have good insurance. So when I had to have surgery I had a talk with my boss to see that I could still work when it healed. She said it wouldn't be a problem. After I had surgery I told her that I didn't know how long the recovery would be, but I didn't foresee being able to massage this year. Again, no problem.

Back to convo (across the salon in front of a client):


Boss: Well, I'm not going have you come back.
Me: Really? I thought you had agreed to let me come back after physical therapy.
Boss: Well, you never told me how long you will be out, so I'm going to find another part time therapist.
Me: I told you it wouldn't be this year- they can't give me an exact date.
Boss: Well, I looked in the employee handbook and it says that after two months I can let an employee go.
Me: Yes, of course you can let me go. I'm just surprised- I thought we had this worked out.
Boss: I've been thinking about it for about the past month, and I'm not going to have you come back.
Me: Wow. That's a wonderful way to find out.

End of convo. She goes back to her client.

What the...?!?! She picked the wrong girl to mess with! Especially after my last few days! So, I left, then called and left a message for her to call me. I called back 30 minutes later and she was gone. I asked what time she was coming in tomorrow, but she's gone for the weekend. Her and her stupid quilting. So I ask for her phone number. The receptionist said "You cannot tell her I gave it to you. She doesn't want to talk to you". What the...?!?! Nothing like talking about it to other employees, not to mention being a big coward. So I called and left a message- something like this:

"Hey, it's Laura. I left you a message, and I know you got it. We need to talk about what happened today. I think it was complete bullsh**, and we need to sort it out. If you don't want to call me, please have Jeremy. I will expect to hear from one of you on Monday."

My tone was very professional (other than the one swear word)- not angry.

I said I would end with a good note. Earlier in the day I spent a few hours at the hospital training to be a volunteer. I am scheduled to do it one shift a week. However, with my surgery, getting fired, and not having a baby, I can pick up shifts every day! For real, I think it is something I will really enjoy doing.

Another good note: I will not take being fired (I saved them workers comp, and I have extremely loyal clients). So the incident lit a fire in me. I haven't felt this energized in weeks!

Hope you're all having a wonderful day!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sort of said all this earlier, but I meant it. Sometimes things like this happen when we're not supposed to be somewhere. I sincerely think you'll look back someday as this month or several-month period as a major CROSSROADS in your life. You have posed some serious questions here since you started this blog and I think that when you get to this point, it's the fork in the road. You will choose to live with this crap or you'll pick up and move on. You'll choose the path that leads you to bigger and better things by being thoughtful, kind, and prayerful (a bit of laughter never hurts either).

I know this month SUCKED, but it will get better. Another one of my tried and true quotes: "Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you chase it the more it eludes you. If you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit quietly on your shoulder!"

I'm really proud of the hospital job, that'll be a great place to channel some of your happy energy!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Leanne, do you think people that read my blog but don't know me very well probably think I'm the most negative person in the world? If only I had it up and going for a few months months before the sh** hit the fan, hey? :D

Anonymous said...

You deserve better than that place! Seriously. You do have very loyal clients and they'd follow you anywhere. I hope you know that they are truly losing a gifted employee...

Awesome about the hospital! :) I hope it all goes well. You're going to be bringing lots of smiles to people! You're always so good at cheering others up and lending an ear, regardless of how your own day is going...

Love ya! And by the way, I missed reading your blog during your break.

Anonymous said...

Go Laura - you sound fired up. I definitely think that you should fight on this one. Plus it will give you a place to channel that negative energy, which therefore means that other aspects of your life will be that much more positive. I agree with Leanne - someday you will look back and be very happy that this (job loss) happened to you.
And BTW: I do not think that you are always negative, but I have been a bit worried about you lately - what with the nature of some of your posts. I do think that you are dealing well, but I like that I can check in on you here.
Tell Davin we sent our love and hugs to him too.

Anonymous said...

Just goes to show, not everyone makes a good boss. Let me guess, boss chick is in her 20's, has little to no experience in being a boss or manager, but has been there 2 months longer than anybody else.....Manager by default.

Sorry Laura, that bites.

Cory

Anonymous said...

P.S. Save your massage skills for family only.

Healthcare would be a great field for you.

Cory

Anonymous said...

If you have loyal clients, I wonder if you could channel your energy into having them follow you elsewhere?! :)

Regardless, I hope it all works out.

I do not think you negative, by the way. If you were, your blog would sound very different. :)

Yay for the hospital job!

Anonymous said...

GO, Laura!!!Maybe this hosp. thing will be just what you need. Too bad for your boss that she has such little tact and you have so much energy that needs directing! OOPS for her;) Love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm speechless! Good for you for standing up and getting energized over it! I know I could never do it! :o)

Good luck with the hospital job! That sounds wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

Leanne~ thanks for your wisdom and insight.

Julie~ thanks for being the most awesome friend!

Amy L~ Thanks for your love and prayers you always send our way!

Cory~ You're the best bro-in-law. Even if you're just trying to get a massage. ;) Boss chick is in her 30's, but wishes she was in her early 20's- she always has a crush on one the stylists and follows them around like a puppy. And she has no more experience than some of the other stylists. Her and her husband bought the place a couple years ago- although I think everything is really paid for my hubby's parents.

Elizabeth~ I'm gonna take your word that my blog truly isn't negative. :)

Amy I~ Thanks for being my sis. :) And, definitely, OOPS to my boss!

Stacey~ Thanks to you also! I love having a sis-in-law on here! Can't wait 'til you live closer!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm not sure what to even say. What a b****! What you should have done (but maybe you are too nice) is told the stylist that the boss is totally crushing on him/her in front of the boss. The b**** in me would have done that.
Obviously, this probably would not be a place you would want to continue to work. The person in charge has no compassion or tact. I would take Elizabeth's advice and walk away with some valuable clients.
Keep smiling, Laura, you deserve better than this. Don't let her get the best of you.
When it rains, it pours. But after every storm, there is a rainbow.

Anonymous said...

Yes. I totally wish you'd have been blogging for the months before all this crap happened. You really are a very happy, fun person, and it's even evidenced in your unhappy posts, I think. You always inject some humor, and that's really healthy. The timing of your start to this blog is less than desirable, but if you're gleaning any strength from the support of your readers, then it's probably worth it! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Laura I think you truly show optimism even in your negative (situation) posts. Seriously. At least, to me, they don't come across as 'down' at all. You sound like you're doing well through it all...

All this stuff sucks though, especially when it all happens at the same time. But Leanne said it best in her first comment. This was meant - even though it's awful.

One of us (we'll keep this nameless to defend the identity of 'the boss') got 'fired' once from a job and we happened to personally know 'the boss' - who acted completely out of line. I was about 8 months pregnant and we were devastated. At first. But looking back, it was one of our greatest blessings in disguise.

When it rains, it pours. Oh yes it does! But the sun always shines again...someday...

Hope Davin's doing alright. Take care - both of you!