Sunday, November 2, 2008

A sad day

I am going to try my best to keep this blog cheery and upbeat. However, I also said I am going to be myself, and let's not kid ourselves, nobody is cheery every day. So why is today tough? Well, it's November. The baby boy we thought was going to be our son is due to be born on November 21st. We grieved the loss when the birth parents first changed our mind, but I'm realizing the loss is going to felt all over again when he is born.

We were going to name him Nik. We had his room all ready for him. All his clothes were washed. His ultrasound picture was in a frame on his dresser- I kissed him good night every night. One day I a went to pick up a bundle me that I bought on craigslist. I came home and put a load a load of Nik's clothes in the wash. I left for Target to buy bottles. On the way I called my sister Leanne and we were talking about how everything was going so well. I had just gotten an email from the birth mother two days before. She had met with her lawyer and she expressed how happy she was to have found Davin and I to raise her baby. While I was talking to Leanne our adoption counselor called. I said I would call her when I stopped. A few minutes later Davin called me. The agency had gotten an email from the birth parents and they had changed their minds.

Just like that it was over.

After the anger passed (it lasted a few days), I talked to Stephanie (the birth mother), and I felt somewhat better. She felt sincerely sorry. I won't go into why things changed so suddenly, but it was something we could understand. They wanted the ultrasound pictures back. Originally, I was so angry and I thought there was no way I was going to part with them. But time passed and I packed them up along with a gift we had gotten for Nik, and sent them back. Stephanie said she would let us know when Oliver (their name) is born. They will send us a picture.

Back to today...I have been feeling sad. I've cried- a lot. I have a feeling this is going to be a tough month.

Thanks for letting me vent. It helps.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I have never been in your position, I feel sad for you. I am thinking it might be kind of like having a miscarriage. It is good that you can grieve, though, and get through those emotions.

Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of both of you

Anonymous said...

Hugs and kisses to you both! I have been thinking about you and all that this month might mean. I love you. Amy

Anonymous said...

Love you.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

Laura, i don't think you know who i am but i'd like to forward an e-mail i recieved to you. could you send me an e-mail. sherri.storm@yahoo.com
Sherri Storm

Anonymous said...

sending you a hug...

Anonymous said...

I too am sorry. This is kinda long but I recently read these words in a book. "Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow and everyday. Either He will shield you from surffering or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace, then, put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations, and say continually, "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart has trusted in Him and I am helped. He is not only with me but in me and I in Him."

With Love,
Rebecca P (Davin's cousin)

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and Davin... I am sorry for your loss. Heidi L (I was the Heidi in your brother Mike's confo class)

Anonymous said...

So sorry. I've been thinking of you and Davin. Jane (Hyrkas)

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine the heartache that you are enduring right now. Hopefully someday soon you will be holding a little angel in your arms.So sorry.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss and what you're going through right now.

Anonymous said...

I'm crying too, for you. You're both in my thoughts and prayers as you deal with such a difficult loss...and a difficult time. May you be granted the strength you need...

Love,
~ Jennifer